October 20, 2015

Home Tour + Kitchen

Kitchen-Tour-Welcome

In our house before the rebuild, we would constantly talk about all the things we would like to do to the house when we had the money. We had sketches upon sketches of an add-ons to rooms and rooms where we knocked down walls. I had Pinterest boards full of home d├ęcor ideas and couldn't wait until the day we could afford to start even the smallest project.

I had big plans for my kitchen. I wanted to remove a wall, paint the cabinets, install a tile backsplash and get new countertops. I never in a million years would have (or could have) imagined I would have the kitchen I have now (thanks mother nature). It still amazes me that we were able to come up with this kitchen using the same footprint as before.

Because the kitchen is in the center of the house, there's not a lot of natural light (and it made it very hard to photograph) so I made sure I had LOTS of light. In addition to recess lights and pendant lights over the island I demanded under the counter lights as well. I'm so glad I did because they are the most used lights in the kitchen.

Kitchen-Tour-Can-Cabinet

It's not often my kitchen is clean. As I mentioned above, it's literally in the center of the house so anything that makes it through the utility room ends up being dropped in the kitchen. I've been waiting to do a tour post until I could get it just right but I've come to terms with the fact that's not happening any time soon (in some of these pictures, you might notice little finger prints and smudges on the cabinets…that's life with kids, right?)

Kitchen-Tour-Fridge-Wall

Kitchen-Tour-Island

As far as the layout (I so wish I had good pictures of the before), the only thing we changed was removing a wall and pushing out a wall. In doing this, we were able to open up the kitchen to our breakfast area. The guts of the kitchen? Well they are totally different than before. I don't have good pictures of the before so you'll just have to take my word for it. Just imagine autumn oak colored cabinets and white laminate countertops. I have no one to blame for the design choices but myself for the design choices in our previous kitchen. My excuse was that we were only 23 when we built that house and it was our first house so I had no idea what I was doing.

Kitchen-Tour-Island-View

At a little over seven feet long  by three feet wide, my kitchen island a party planner's/hostess with the mostess's dream! We have already hosted all of the holidays, a few parties and a few get-togethers and the island is always the center of attention (because that's where ALL the food was).

Kitchen-Tour-Pass-ThroughKitchen-Tour-SinkKitchen-Tour-Towels

When we chose the granite and sink I initially had a 60/40 sink picked out. After using my best friends basin sink I changed my mind. Let me just tell you I was hell bent on having a divided sink and now? I don't think I'll ever go back to a divided sink.

Kitchen-Tour-Vent-HoodKitchen-Tour-Stove

My ceramic stove top and pot filler are my two top favorite things in my kitchen. I love how the stove top blends into the black granite and doesn't stand out. However, aside from the island, my vent hood with built-in spice racks is the show piece of the kitchen.

Kitchen-Tour-Sweets-Corner

Kitchen-Tour-Coffee-Station

I'm pretty much a minimalist when it comes to things on my countertops. I can't stand clutter so the only appliance that I leave out is the can opener and our Keurig/coffee station. All my other appliances are in my walk-in pantry.

So there's my kitchen. I hope you enjoyed the tour!

You might notice I didn't mention the cabinetry much, I've decided there was too much info on our cabinetry for this post so it will get a whole post of it's own.

Source List

  • Wall Color – Color Match to Glidden Pebble Grey
  • Cabinet Color – White Picket Fence (H.I.S. Paint – Local Paint Company)
  • Island Color – Custom Stain -  Dark Mahogany/Espresso
  • Pendant Lights – Lowe's
  • Granite – Local Granite Company
    • Island:  Alaskan White
    • Counters:  Black Pearl
  • Marble Backsplash Tile – White Venatino Marble (Lowe's)
  • Faucet and Pot Filler – Lowe's
  • Bar Stools – Target
  • Appliances – Local Appliance Company
    • Whirlpool Gold Series
  • Large Clock – Hobby Lobby
  • Metal 'Home' Sign – Home Goods

1 comment:

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...