May 20, 2014

One Year Later

Today marks the one year anniversary of the Moore Tornado.  I probably would have completely forgotten about it had I not been reminded by several people. So just to let everyone know how I/we are doing, I thought I'd post how we are doing one year later.

05 20 13_446105 20 13_4462
Front of House

One year later our area is looking better (the tornado hit many homes and businesses in OKC before it hit Moore). Homes and businesses are being rebuilt as well as the schools that were destroyed. There are only a few reminders left of the destruction such as missing/damaged trees and a few homes where I assume either the residents just left and moved on or are in litigation with their insurance companies. Either way, it makes me sad to think about it.

One year later I still have panic attacks when severe storms come through our area. It's even worse when there's a possibility that I'll be home alone with the girls when they come through. Also, having a storm shelter doesn't really give me peace of mind…especially if I were responsible for getting myself and the girls down there by myself. Don't even get me started on the mention of the words "severe thunderstorm watch/warning", "tornado", "tornado watch/warning", "tornado risk" or "supercell". It's affecting me more than I thought it would. Even the sound of thunder (and sometimes the sound of the wind) makes my stomach turn.

One year later, TnT are clueless (thank goodness!) as to the events of that horrific day last year. They are rock stars when it comes to adjusting to new things and I could not be more proud or thankful for that.

One year later we are still in recovery mode as we sort through all the boxes of our belongings that were "salvaged" in the days after. It's a daunting task and we are so ready to be done but we're taking it one box at a time.

One year later we are back in our beautiful, new and improved house and are much more relaxed and happy than we have been in the past year.

One year later, we are still survivors.

heather

 

1 comment:

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...