February 11, 2014

That time I did a shoulder stand

Before the tornado (seems like I type that statement a lot) I would do yoga frequently. It was the yoga poses on the Wii so it was a very watered down version of yoga but it worked for me.

I've tried regular yoga and I can never get through the first five minutes. The transitions are what's hard for me. My body is not flexible at all and even though I think I have some strength from lugging around twins and all their stuff, I'm really not that strong either.

Anyway, I no longer have the Wii (it may be in storage or it may be in Kansas…I won't know until we move back home) but I like to do some of the poses just for stretching. Well, last night as I was browsing Pinterest, I came across a pin that told all the benefits of a shoulder stand.

photo (52)

                                                                   Source

 

Some of the benefits that stood out to me were…

  • Balances hormones – I have a non-functioning thyroid gland so anything I can do to help the processing of hormones is a good thing in my book.
  • Soothes the nervous system – I have 2 1/2 year old twins. Enough said.
  • Increased strength and flexibility – see above.
  • Aides in restful sleep – my sleep is definitely off with this winter weather. Many nights I have trouble falling asleep and sometimes I wake up feeling like I haven't slept at all.
  • Strengthens the heart and respiratory system – this is where it all went wrong……continue reading.

So after reading this late last night I thought to myself, I need to do this before I head to bed. So I did. I pushed all the toys aside to clear a spot on the living room floor, laid down and assumed the position.

It wasn't a hard position for me to do yet it was somewhat uncomfortable and I'll explain why. The description for the benefit of "Strengthens the heart and respiratory system" is as follows,

"Due to the fact that the body is in an inverted position, shoulderstand reduces strain on the heart. Healthy blood can easily circulate around the neck and chest, and as a result, people with asthma, bronchitis and throat ailments may get relief."

So as I'm laying there with my legs straight up in the air, I realize I'm having a hard time breathing and I feel like my head is about to explode.

After doing a quick check of my body, I realized that all my fat had traveled down around my neck therefore cutting off the blood flow and what felt like my airway.

I tried to adjust my position. Maybe I wasn't straight enough or needed to adjust the position of my head some way.

It didn't work. I still felt like my head was about to explode and like I was about to pass out from lack of oxygen.

I gave up, turned off all the lights, and headed to bed.

When I went into the bathroom for my bed time routine, I looked in the mirror and noticed a spot on my chin. It was a bruise. Apparently, the fat put so much pressure on my neck/head that it caused some blood vessels to bust therefore giving me a nice bright red and purple spot on my chin! Not sure I'll be doing that move again anytime soon.

I did, however, sleep really well last night.

heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...