October 19, 2013

Rebuild Update: The walls are going up!

New Mills Rebuild Logo

This has been an exciting week with the house!

Let's start with a new front elevation (See above). I am very sad to say that my stone wainscot is going away. :( It just wasn't going to work if I wanted the shutters. We will still have stone but it will just be on the gables and the posts on the front porch. Here is the before. Let's take a moment to just morn the loss of my wainscot.Mills Rebuild Logo

At the beginning of the week, we had a lot of rain that set us back. And then it didn't. We were told new & (re)framing wouldn't start until this coming Tuesday but much to our surprise, they started this Thursday!

Framing our house has proven to be quite complicated for the framers. I'm pretty sure they are (or at least started out) completely confused. Because we are adding on and raising the roof (for higher ceilings), some walls are being removed, some are being moved and some are getting extended.

We are watching the progress very closely and I am sure that our builder is just loving the calls he has gotten from me already this weekend…."Hey, I'm standing in the house and it's looking good but…."

There have been some minor issues but as of right now they have been resolved or have been promised to be resolved. I went out this morning to check on it and of course, made one of my many phone calls. I love just standing in the middle of the house and envisioning what it will look like when it's all done. I'll be going back out this evening to see what was accomplished this afternoon (hopefully I don't have to make yet another phone call). At the rate they're going we may have a roof by end of next week!

Side note: As I was on one of my "phone calls" talking about plate height (please don't ask me to explain what that is) I thought to myself, "I can't believe I even know what this is" and then after hanging up I thought, "Holy cow, that was like a very grown up conversation. I'm making grown up decisions. Oh crap! I'm a grown up!" Do you ever have thoughts like that? I mean, I don't feel old enough to be having conversations and making decisions like that and I'm much closer to middle age than I am to my teenage years. Anywho, just thought I'd share that little piece of my thought process.

So, moving on……

How about some pics?

I know for some this will be hard to envision. The first time we built a house, I couldn't tell up from down during the framing stage. It wasn't until the sheet rock went up that it all made sense.

Framing-Front View
Framing-Garage
Framing-Family Room
Top: Front of house; Middle: Garage; Bottom: Back of house/Family Room

This process has already been long and pretty stressful but I don't for one second forget who made all this possible. Every day I thank God for bringing us through that storm.

Cursif Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...