May 16, 2013

Our First Vacation as a Family of Four

At the beginning of the year, I decided we WERE going to take a vacation. Our last vacation was just a few months before we started our first IVF cycle that resulted in our pregnancy with the girls.

While I hadn't really saved any money for a vacation, specifically the beach vacation I really wanted, we had enough to go on a weekend getaway to Dallas.

As soon as we decided where we were going, I began planning. Our vacations before the girls usually consisted of shopping and not really much site seeing. Since we now have TnT, site seeing was on the top of my list (although we managed to do a little shopping).

The places I chose to visit were the Dallas Zoo, the Dallas World Aquarium, and IKEA (see, I managed to slip in some shopping).

For us, it's only about a 3 hour drive so we decided to start at IKEA since it was pretty much on the way to our hotel. It was our first visit ever to an IKEA and holy moly I was in heaven! Tillie is so much like her momma. She just kept saying, "Whoa! Whoa!".

We ate lunch in the café. I had seen and heard a lot of people talk about it…specifically about the meatballs so that is what we had. I have to say I was a little underwhelmed by them. Honestly, I could have made it myself and have. They were nothing special in my opinion.

IKEA Collage

After IKEA, we headed to our hotel to check in and freshen up before dinner. The girls napped on the way to the hotel. Our room was perfect for our little family. We booked a suite so we had a living area and a separate bedroom. I was pleasantly surprised at how much space there was! There was plenty of room for both pack & plays next to our bed with plenty of walking room. Our room was also on the ground floor and opened up to the courtyard & pool area which was nice because we could let the girls run off some energy when needed.

Hotel Collage

We decided to head over to Grapevine and have dinner at the Rainforest Café. It never occurred to me that the girls might be frightened by some of the sights and sounds of the restaurant until some people had mentioned it. Thank goodness they loved it! They weren't even afraid of the gorillas during the "thunder storms"! Again, Tillie kept saying, "Whoa! Whoa!"

Rainforest Collage

The next day we went to the Dallas World Aquarium. It was a pretty neat place. We went on Friday hoping to miss the crowd but no such luck. Apparently it was field trip day. There were kids everywhere! The girls still enjoyed it though.

Dallas Aquarium Collage

That night we met Amanda and her family for dinner at my favorite Dallas Mexican restaurant, The Blue Goose. It was good to actually meet her in person! I'm not sure why we didn't take any pictures. I guess we were too busy talking.

On Saturday we took the girls to the Zoo. It was a beautiful day! We let the girls walk for a lot of it. It just made it easier for them to see most of the exhibits. They of course loved the sense of freedom.

Dallas Zoo Collage

Our last night we went back over to Grapevine and did a little shopping. Then we had dinner at another favorite restaurant of mine, Fuddruckers. We don't have them here so when I saw it, I insisted we eat there. So yummy!

It was a good vacation. The girls were great, other than Tensley refusing to sleep. We definitely learned a lot about traveling with kids. On our way home we were already planning our next vacation! We're thinking a beach vacation for next year.

Cursif Signature

6 comments:

  1. Fun! I can't wait til my first trip to ikea either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you all had a great time! I used to live in Dallas- love the Blue Goose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you had fun on your vacation.

    I am new to your blog. I came over from Life Sweet Life. I want to let you know how sorry I am about the devastation you had to endure again due to the tornado. We are praying hard for you and your family. Prayers are going up to all that have been affected by this disaster.

    Praying for peace that can only come from God.

    Love and huge hugs,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you guys! I'm so sorry about what happened on Monday. So glad you and your family are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard what happened to your home over at In this wonderful life blog, I am so sorry and am thinking of your family. Much love, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for your sweet family - I cannot imagine going thru this devastation twice. May God's healing hands be over you and your family today. I came over via Megan's blog (thank you Megan for posting the link).

    Prayers,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...