February 9, 2013

Savings Saturday: DIY Valentine Decor

DIY Valentine Decor

I didn’t have much in the way of Valentine’s décor but I wanted to do something this year. Once again, I had to decorate keeping the toddlers in mind. This meant, decorating the buffet in my dining room which also currently serves as my office when I need to keep an eye on said toddlers.

I purchased the heart wreath from the dollar section at Target. It was very plain and kind of pitiful looking but I thought surely I could come up with something to make it better.

This is what the wreath looked like when I bought it. It was the only thing I purchased for this décor.
photo (24)

When I finally got around to decorating I decided to raid my craft room. You see, I was somewhat of a craft supply hoarder before TnT came along so I have tons of supplies. Now my craft room is somewhat of a mess so I was a little afraid to go in there but I’m so glad I did. I managed to find a spool of tulle and a bag of pieces of tulle leftover from the girls’ Christmas tutus. I quickly got to work adding the tulle to the wreath and was pretty happy with the end result!

DIY Heart Wreath

The pretty much provided the color scheme for the rest of the décor. Since my dining room walls are RED, I thought pink and black would stand out more than adding a bunch of red. I already had the chalkboard (also purchased a while back in the dollar section at Target) so I found some pink chalk in the girls’ stash and started doodling. I also already had the candle sticks and candles. It’s hard to tell in the picture but the candles are light pink.

DIY Be Mine Banner.

I really wanted a banner so back to the craft room I went. I scoured through my stuff until I found the paper heart doilies (guess where I had purchased these…a few years ago. Yep! Target dollar section!). With a little more searching, I found a set of Love themed chipboard pieces. Then, I remembered I had the black frame in my photo props! After I attached the letters to the banner, I strung the heart doilies onto hot pink embroidery floss and taped the ends onto the back of the frame. Voila! A banner in a frame! I LOVE how it turned out!

DIY Valentine Art

In my hunt for banner making materials, I came across a small paper stack that was all typography. When I fanned through it, I came across the perfect Valentine’s day paper! I grabbed a frame from my stash put the paper in it and created some framed art! I used more of the chipboard pieces and embellished the frame a little. I liked how it turned out so much that I grabbed another frame and made another piece of art using it and you guessed it, embellishments I had purchased in the dollar section at Target a few years ago!

photo 1

So that’s the extent of my Valentine’s décor. I spent a total of $3!

Are you a craft supply hoarder like me? Have you ever made anything or decorated with your supplies too? I’d love to see what you’ve created! I might even feature it here on my blog!

Linking up with ILYMTC!

i love you more than carrots

 

Cursif Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...