January 28, 2013

Adult ADD

I have wondered for several years now if I might have ADD. I have ALWAYS had trouble focusing on one task and I’m not very good at multi-tasking. I also get very overwhelmed with clutter…which is why I am on a mission to get my house organized this year.

Out of curiosity, I took a couple of online assessments for adult ADHD and both came back with scores that said, “you are highly likely to be suffering from adult attention deficit disorder…” and “it would be advisable and likely beneficial for you to seek further diagnosis from a trained mental health professional immediately.”

Um……….

Then, I found an article on the trusty ol’ WebMD about the ‘10 Problems That Could Mean Adult ADHD’. I will share with you the “problems” that are applicable to me. Keep in mind, there are TEN.

  1. Difficulty getting organized – Um yes. It took having a friend come over to help me get started on my home office organization project. I seriously think it would have still been cluttered with paper if it weren’t for her coming over to help me organize.
  2. Extreme Distractibility – While writing this post, up until this point, I have stopped to read 2 emails, check my blog and watched about 20 minutes of TV. Distractible you say?
  3. Poor Listening Skills – This is more a problem for me when I’m listening to a lecture or sermon or in a meeting….basically, in a situation where I cannot interact. I am ashamed to admit that it does happen, albeit not that often, when I’m one on one or in a small group. When in this type of situation, I’m often thinking about the next thing I want to say rather than being in the current conversation.
  4. Restlessness, Difficulty Relaxing – I Never. Sit. Down. If I sit down I will fall asleep. And if I do sit down, I’m usually doing something with my hands or I’m on my laptop, phone or iPad.
  5. Difficulty Starting a Task – I am the queen of procrastination. I am always putting things off until the last minute.
  6. Chronic Lateness – Most mom’s are guilty of this to some degree. However, I often had this problem before kids….all the way back to high school. Heck, I did detention several times due to tardiness. And it was morning detention which meant it was before school so I was usually late to detention too! Sad, I know.
  7. Prioritizing Issues – Oh boy. This is me. Completely. That deadline I have to meet? Yeah, I know…but I’m going to browse Pinterest for a while instead. (SEE ALSO “problem” #5)

People! I have 7 out of 10 of these problems!!

Now I know I can’t let Dr. Google diagnose me. Do I think I have ADHD? Maybe. All these things explain a lot about me and I am tired. Tired of feeling so disorganized and like I’m a chicken running around with my head cut off. Will I seek professional help? That is to be determined. I might bring it up the next time I see my doc.

I am curious however, if anyone else has wondered if they have adult ADHD. They Psych grad in me wants to do a little experiment…If you want, take this quiz and let me know the results.

Cursif Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...