December 23, 2012

Not So Extreme Couponing: Stock Your Pantry

Welcome Back! If this is your first visit, you can catch up HERE.

Sorry this post is so late. I spent my free time this evening printing, clipping and organizing my coupons!

This week we are going to talk about stocking your pantry. I just have a few simple key points for you.

Sales cycles

Sales on certain items tend to go on sale specific times of the year. For example, items for grilling, picnics, etc. tend to go on sale around holidays like Memorial day or July 4th. Baking items tend to go on sale around Thanksgiving. Once you figure out the sales cycles for your stores, it will help you plan for stocking up.

Don’t be a brand snob

If you really want to save money, you’re going to have to be willing to try other brands…and even *GASP* off brands. The good thing about couponing is that it gives you the opportunity to try other brands. Honestly, I don’t notice a difference on most items between brand name and off brand products. And let me let you in on a little secret…some “off” brands are actually produced by the same manufacturing facility as the brand names. So don’t be a brand snob. Try other brands and if you still just can’t stomach it, then go back to your brand name product but make sure to have enough money in your grocery budget for the items.

You’ll likely spend more money in the beginning

When you are first getting started, you will probably spend a little more money than normal because you are trying to stock your pantry. The good news? You’ll be spending less per item so you’ll actually be bringing home more than you normally do.

Don’t let this discourage you. You really need to give it a month or so before you really start seeing the big savings. Just stick with it and know that you are stocking up and before you know it, you’ll only be making small trips to the grocery store.

Stick to your budget!

Just because you think it’s a good deal doesn’t necessarily mean it is if it’s not in your budget. I have to admit, this is my biggest weakness with couponing. If I see a good deal and I have coupons, I tend to buy more and ultimately go over my grocery budget. I’m a work in progress in this area and have vowed to myself to be better in 2013.

However, if you can get an item for free, go for it! “Buy” as many as you can!

And that, my friends, is the basics of stocking your pantry. I can’t believe next week is the final week of Not So Extreme Couponing! I may continue to post related topics here and there so if you have any questions, PLEASE let me know! It is very likely someone else will have the same question(s) and will be able to benefit from you asking!

Christmas Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...