November 2, 2012

Gearing up for round #2 with FET


I was debating blogging about this because we I didn’t really even want to tell anyone we were gearing up for another round of IVF. I’ve been w
orried about the criticism we might get. So many people assume that just because you have twins, that you’re done. Let me set the record straight…that’s a common misconception of parents of twins.

I decided to go ahead and document our story…for myself. I feel like I didn’t do that very well the first time around.

I mentioned in Monday’s post that we had an appointment with our RE. With our first round of IVF, we ended up with 6 embryos, transferred 2 (we all know how that turned out) and froze 4. Some people think we’re crazy but we are planning to transfer 2 again this time. I mean, I’m not getting any younger (I’m closer to 40 than 30) and we will still have 2 more to transfer after this! Yes, in the very beginning we decided to transfer all of them at some point (but not at the same time). It was a moral, ethical & faith-based decision for us. Some may not agree with our decision but it’s our decision so that’s ok.

My RE asked us if we planned to transfer 1 or 2 this time and then asked how we felt about having twins again. James and I both neither said a word but the look on our faces pretty much answered her question. Our thinking? We know how to do 2 so what’s 2 more? Yes, there will be new challenges and I may never leave the house again but if this is what God wants for us, we are up for the challenge. I love being a mom. It’s what I was meant to do (although I wasn’t sure about that for many years).

So what’s next?

We don’t have a start date yet but we plan on doing this sometime around the first of next year.

What happens with an FET cycle?

This round will be much easier than the first time. I will go on birth control, then start Lupron and the dreaded progesterone shots.

I will also have the typical ultrasounds and the dreaded SIS (Saline Infusion Sonogram AKA Mock or Practice Transfer) This is where they use a balloon and fill it with saline to expand your uterus so they can “map” it for when they do the actual transfer. I DID NOT enjoy the SIS the first time and may need to be drugged for this round. I remember saying something like, “if that is anywhere close to what labor feels like, I want drugs immediately!”

Fortunately and unfortunately, I never got to experience a labor pain (I know, I’m crazy for wanting that but I just wanted to experience a little of it at least).

Apparently, the SIS is not that bad for most women. I’m somewhat of an anomaly.

The actual transfer? Not bad at all. I think I tolerated it pretty well.

What we’re doing until then?

We’re going to check into insurance (ours covers part of it), pray, start thinking about moving things around for another nursery, start getting my body ready for another pregnancy by exercising (in my spare time, cough, cough), and enjoy the upcoming holidays.

So that’s what’s new with me. Prayers for us as we prepare for and start this journey would be greatly appreciated

Cursif Signature

7 comments:

  1. Praying that the journey ahead is full of joy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying praying praying!! I wouldn't be done with two either:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are talking about this and documenting it! We are not done either and plan on trying for another one sometime next year. We did IUI and will probably have to do it again so have another increased chance of twins! People think we are crazy too but we feel if it happens its meant to be ;) Praying for you and cant wait to follow along your new journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you! I'm so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you!! So excited for you...your girls are beautiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...