October 4, 2012

Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal Mix



 

Finished-Oatmeal

I’ve been worrying about preservatives in foods lately. There are a ton of studies out there that believe some preservatives contribute to certain diseases. I’ve always thought if you chemically alter something, it can’t be a good thing.

I’m not saying this is fact and I’m not going to go all nazi like and cut out everything with preservatives. I just don’t’ have that much energy….and I am somewhat of a picky eater.  However, with Auto Immune disease running rampant through both sides of our family, I want to stock my pantry with as much preservative free foods as possible. Plus, believe it or not, it’s cheaper.

We all like Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal in this house. James likes to have the instant packets around for mornings when he’s in a hurry and needs something quick. I came across a recipe on Pinterest and decided to give it a try. It didn’t work out so well. In fact, there was a little bit of gagging on my part so I decided to tweak it to our taste.

I have to say, after the 3rd try, I think I pretty much nailed it.

Here’s what you do:

In a mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and maple flavoring. Mix thoroughly.

Oatmeal-Step-1

Next, add whole quick oats. Mix thoroughly.

Oatmeal-Step-2

Add the ground oats.

Oatmeal-Step-3

After adding the ground oats, I used a spoon to make sure it was all mixed together. You’ll need the ingredients mixed well or you may end up with a bowl that doesn’t taste quite right.

Oatmeal-Step-4

Take your finished mix and dump it into an airtight container and do the shakey shakey shake. Sorry, a Yo Gabba Gabba commercial just came on and that just came through my typing fingers. I can’t stand that show.

Now you have your own preservative free oatmeal!

Minus the first try. It probably cost me around $3 to make. It will last much longer than a 10 ct box of the instant variety that you buy at the grocery store.

If you want, you can divvy it up into pint size Ziploc bags for a grab & go breakfast.

 

Maple & Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal Mix

  • 1 cup Quick Oats, finely ground
  • 2 cups Quick Oats, whole
  • 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 Tbsp Maple Flavoring
  • 1 tsp Salt

In a mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and maple flavoring. Add whole and ground oats, mix thoroughly. Store in airtight container.

To Serve:
Place 2/3 cup of mix and add liquid to desired consistency. Heat in microwave approximately 1 minute.

Printable Recipe

*Just FYI. I made a double batch. In case your wondering why my container looks so full.

Follow

5 comments:

  1. Looks very yummy and easy to put together! I like the maple/brown sugar instant oatmeal packets too, but haven't wanted to spend the money on them. I'll be giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, I'd love to hear your feedback!

      Delete
  2. My 5 year old loves oatmeal. Just found this one pinterest and will have to try.
    I had to laugh at the Yo Gabba Gabba comment. I too am not a fan of them...They did a special apparence on The Fresh Beat Band today --torture, 2 shows that they like but drive me nuts. I'll be singing it for the rest of day.
    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you label your jar? It's cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well....this one is photoshopped. :)

      Delete

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...