October 8, 2012

Fall Door Decor

I’m linking up again over at ILYMTC for her weekly Project Pinterest link up!

I can’t believe I’ve actually done a crafty thing 2 weeks in a row!

I’m slowly decorating for Fall. With 2 busy toddlers it’s something you have to do a little at a time…just like anything else I do these days. As soon as I saw this pin I knew I just HAD to make it!

Here is my inspiration:

 

This project was a little more labor intensive but still pretty easy.

Materials you’ll need:

Fall-Door-Materials

  • Wooden letters
  • Scrapbook Paper
  • Acrylic Craft Paint
  • Mod Podge
  • Scissors
  • Exacto Knife
  • Brush or Sponges

Step 1: Trace letters onto back of scrapbook paper. Be sure that your letter is backwards when tracing. Then cut out the letters. I suggest cutting a little larger than the actual letter.
Fall-Door-Step-1

Step 2:  Paint the edges of the letters. You can also leave the edges raw but I found painting the edges gave the letters a nice finished look.

Fall-Decor-Paint-Edges

Step 3:  Using your Mod Podge, glue the paper to the letters making sure that the paper is especially glued down around the edges of the letters. (This will help ensure that the paper doesn’t bubble up when you do the top coat.) Walk away, have a snack or fold a load of laundry and let dry for at least 30 minutes.

Fall-Door-Mod-Podge

Step 4: Using an Exacto knife trim the excess paper from around the letters. Make sure you put something under your workspace so you don’t cut through to the surface you are working on.

Fall-Door-Trim-Edges

Step 5: Top with a coat of Mod Podge making sure to brush it evenly so you don’t end up with streaks or clumps. You can skip this step if you want but I did it to add a layer of protection since it will be hanging outside. Walk away and let dry for at least an hour.

Fall-Door-Mod-Podge-Top-Coa

Don’t stack you letters like this when the Mod Podge is wet. Just sayin’.

Step 6: Tie Ribbons on your letters and hang!

Fall-Door-Burlap-Ribbon

Did you know that there is such a thing as burlap ribbon?! I didn’t. What? I haven’t been that crafty since the girls were born!  I was very excited to find it. I’m dreaming up other ways to use it at this very moment!

Here’s the finished project!

Fall-Door-Finished-2
Fall-Door-Finished-1

And for those who are wondering how to hang this door candy, many people use the 3M hooks upside down on the back of the door. I forgot to buy the hooks and we didn’t have any in our arsenal so my very creative and innovative hubby came up with this solution.

Fall-Door-Back-of-Door

My front door is still looking a little bare so stay tuned for more fall decorating!

*Don’t forget I’m also linking up with The Nester with my 31 Days of a Twin Mom posts.

Cursif Signature

7 comments:

  1. Looks great!!! I love the colour of your door too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I love how it is an alternative to a wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I think I may have to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. Number 1. I have a confession to make: I've never MOD Podged anything in my whole life and I feel like this needs to change. Number 2. I love this! It looks SO great and Number 3. I LOVE THAT YOU HAVE YOUR 31Days list on your blog!!! I tried to mark all of mine as "favorites" in my browser.. but yours is SO MUCH SMARTER!! I love it. Brilliant, friend. Brilliant. Thanks so much for linking your crafty little tush up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! LOVE! and can't wait to make in the next week or so. Thanks for sharing. Just read AP's comment too--never Mod Podged--say it ain't so! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...