September 24, 2012

Menu Monday: Week 10 & Some Other Stuff

Happy Monday! Notice anything different?

I might be kind of a spaz when it comes to the design of my blog. I just like change though and thought it needed a new look for Fall {Be prepared to see a new look come Christmas time ;) } I probably should just pay someone to do it for me because I’m not very good at the coding part but I’d go broke having to pay someone to change it all the time, LOL. I just hope my constant change doesn’t scare off those of you who actually read this little blog.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m still feeling the sting from last week’s grocery trip (I’m tired of spending all our money on food!) so our meals this week are going to be a little more simple around here. I also think Pinterest might be to blame some too. Sorry if this week’s menu seems a little boring.

  • Monday – Taco Salad
  • Tuesday – Crock Pot BBQ Chicken / Sweet Potato Fries* / Corn
  • Wednesday – Dirty Rice Skillet / Garlic Toast
  • Thursday – White Chicken Chili
  • Friday – Hot Dogs / Chips
  • Saturday – Chicken Pot Pie
  • Sunday – Beef Enchiladas** / Black Beans* / Spanish Rice / Queso

*I had some sweet potatoes that I was afraid were going to go bad soon so I cut them up into French fry size and froze them. I’m also using the black beans that I make in bulk and freeze.

**When I made beef enchiladas last week, I made a double batch so I could freeze some for a later meal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m linking up again with ILYMTC this week for Project Pinterest and since I seem to never leave the kitchen, it’s another recipe pin.

So I might be a little addicted to iced coffee…specifically of the International Delight variety. However, at $3.50 for a half gallon times 2-3 half gallons per week, my grocery money was taking a serious hit…especially when I ran out of coupons! So, I had pinned this recipe a few months ago and decided this was the time to try it out.

First you fill a large bowl with a gallon of water (so glad I had this huge Tupperware bowl) and dump in a bag of your favorite ground coffee stirring to make sure all of the grounds are wet. Then let it sit 12 hours or overnight (I let mine sit overnight).

photo 1 (5)

Looks a little like brownie dough, huh? Trust me though, you DO NOT want to eat it.

The next step was the most tedious. I took a gallon pitcher, set a fine mesh strainer on top and placed a coffee filter inside the strainer (all we had were cone filters but I would suggest the old fashion bowl shaped filters). Then you either pour or ladle the “coffee mud” into the coffee filter.

photo 2 (5)

It took about an hour to do this. I would fill the coffee filter almost to the top and then cleaned the kitchen while I waited for it to filter. I went through 4 filters for this process.

photo 3 (5)

I didn’t get a full gallon but I’ve been drinking on it for a week and still have quite a bit left.

Ok, now for the creamy part of the iced coffee. The recipe called for 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and 1 can of evaporated milk. When you go to make your coffee, you pour half a glass of the coffee and then half with the cream.

The cream was way to sweet for me so I ended up doing a half glass of coffee (over ice, of course), a shot of the “sweet cream” and then filled up the rest of my glass with skim milk. Not only did this ease the sweetness for me but it reduced the calories some too!

photo 4

During the process I swore I’d never do this again but I might be having second thoughts now that I have gotten the ratios just right for my taste.

3 comments:

  1. .... whaaaaaaaaat? I've never seen this pin and now I'm SO intrigued!! It definitely looks a bit labor intensive but totally worth it! Also? I love the new blog look! Seriously. I have the world's worst case of blog look ADD and I wish I could just do it myself! Looks awesome! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pinned this a while ago as well... I thought it was too 'time consuming' so I continued to chill my regular coffee. Everytime I drink it I think about this pin and how it prob tastes SO MUCH BETTER. I like how you broke down the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really good! I am lazy and just brew a cup of regular coffee with my keurig, let it cool, pour over ice and top with fat free creamer. :) LOVE the new blog look!

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...