August 6, 2012

Menu Monday

My grocery stock pile is just about down to nothing so I had to make a big, expensive grocery trip this week. I need my local grocery stores to have some really good sales really soon.

Speaking of expensive groceries, I’ve been thinking lately how people think it’s expensive to eat healthy. I have also thought that too….until recently. Last Friday, I spent $15 on produce. This may sound like a lot but I now have a fridge full of fruits and veggies. I even had to cut up some of it up and put it in the freezer. The rest of the items I purchased were the processed, not so healthy items that I get to go along with our entrĂ©e’s. Get this, I spent about $160 on all of that stuff…and I used coupons! So this has got me thinking about making my own “packaged” items. I’ve seen a lot of stuff on Pinterest on how to make your own “pre-packaged” goods so I’m going to try it out. I mean, if I can make a batch of brownie mix for around $0.25, why wouldn’t I make it myself?! Plus, it wouldn’t have all that hydrogenated oil and other ingredients you can’t pronounce. Thus, making it a little cleaner and in some cases, healthier (ok, not so much healthy brownies but definitely the other stuff) ;)

Ok so here’s this week’s menu:

  • Monday – Chicken Enchilada Casserole / Salad (I made a double batch 2 weeks ago and froze it)
  • Tuesday – Tortilla Stack / Corn
  • Wednesday – Bacon Ranch Chicken / Peas
  • Thursday – Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets / Mashed Potatoes / Green Beans
  • Friday – Pizza Night!
  • Saturday – Beef Stroganoff / Peas
  • Sunday – Taco Salad

We had Indian Tacos last night for my Dad’s birthday and they were delicious! Tasted just like the ones you can get at the State Fair….actually, they were better!

Today I’m making another batch of Black Beans and per James’s request, more granola bars. I also might make a batch of homemade rolls using this recipe if I have time.

photo 1 (3)photo 2 (3)

Tortilla Stack

  • 1 lb ground hamburger meat
  • Chopped onion
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • Corn Tortillas
  • Shredded cheddar (or mexi blend cheese)
  • 1 small can chopped green chilies (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp Chili Powder (can add more to taste)
  • 1/2 Tbsp Cumin (can add more to taste)
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown hamburger meat and onions. Add chili powder, salt & pepper to taste. Add tomato sauce and and green chilies. Let simmer for about 5-10 minutes.

In a lightly greased square glass baking dish, layer corn tortillas, hamburger mixture and cheese. Repeat until all hamburger mixture is gone (Top layer should end with the cheese).

Place in preheated oven and heat until cheese is melted (about 15-20 minutes)

I usually serve with shredded lettuce, picante and sour cream on top. I also serve with corn, mexi corn and/or corn chips.

 

This next recipe is one of my favorite crock pot recipes. It’s so easy and has been a hit with everyone who’s tried it.

Bacon Ranch Chicken

  • 2 Chicken Breasts
  • 2 Tbsp Bacon Bits
  • 1 tsp Minced Garlic
  • 1 Pkg Ranch Dressing Mix
  • 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
  • 1 C. Sour Cream
  • Egg Noodles

Place chicken in crock pot (even if frozen!). Mix remaining ingredients (except egg noodles) and pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Shred chicken and put back in crockpot on low. Cook egg noodles and stir into chicken mixture.

Serve with veggie/side of your choice. I usually serve with peas.

 

I’m always on the lookout for new recipes to try so if you have a favorite, leave me a comment!

Signature Channel

3 comments:

  1. Here is a link for a two ingredient pineapple cake. It is so easy and I don't always make a topping. It makes a moist low fat/low sugar cake!

    http://livingachangedlife.blogspot.com/2011/03/recipe-review-pineapple-angel-food-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bacon ranch chicken looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those granola bars look really, really good!

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...