August 30, 2012

Cleaning Tip: Pinned & Tested

So I mentioned yesterday that I cleaned my entire house. Rooms get cleaned but rarely does the whole house get cleaned all in one day. Maybe like once or twice a year.

Anyway, I pinned this pin and when the motivation and energy came along, I decided to give it a go. Instead of doing the steps through the whole house, I did one room at a time. I might try doing each step through the entire house next time.

I actually started on Monday by going through the entire house and picking up everything that was out of place. It pretty much took me the entire day because well, I have twins. Enough said.

On Tuesday I dug into the nitty gritty. I followed the steps from the post above. I started in the kitchen…cleaning it while the girls ate breakfast.

After they finished breakfast, I moved them to their play area and while they played I cleaned the dining room and living room…dusting and vacuuming. I even moved the furniture and vacuumed! For some reason, these two rooms always seem to take the longest. Even with everything picked up but I think it’s because these rooms require the most as far as dusting.

After I was done with the living and dining room, it was nap time. I put both girls down for their nap and started in on their bathroom. I emptied the trash & took the rugs & towels to the laundry room (I also grabbed the rugs from the master bath and went ahead and threw them in the washer so they’d be done by the time I was finished cleaning). I then wiped down the tub, toilet and counters, swept the floor then mopped my way out (with my Shark steam mop, of course!).

Tillie refused to sleep so I had to go get her mid way through cleaning the bathroom but she is good about playing and staying out of trouble.

I moved on to our bedroom. Changed the sheets and dusted the furniture. I decided to wait on the vacuuming and do the room and our bathroom at the same time.

Our bathroom took a little longer than I had wanted. Mainly because I had to scrub the hairspray off the counter. (Note to self: find an easier way to remove hairspray residue). Once I was done with the bathroom, I vacuumed then mopped the bathroom.

Tensley woke up after I finished our room & bathroom so I got her up and we all had lunch. After lunch I tackled their room.

In the girls room there is not much furniture. It’s a small room. I wiped down their beds (what was I thinking getting dark cribs? They show every little finger print & drool spot), dusted off their bookshelf and the changing table. Next I cleaned out their air purifier and then I moved their furniture and vacuumed.

I started this process around 9am and finished around 2pm so it took about 5 hours to clean the kitchen, dining room, living room, 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms. Keep in mind I also had 2 toddlers to care for while I did this. I’m pretty sure I could cut this time in half otherwise.

We do have another room, my craft room, a laundry room, home office/mud room and a man cave upstairs that I didn’t clean. The craft room doesn’t get used these days and is currently a catchall room so that’s a project for another day. I had cleaned, swept and mopped our laundry room and mud room just a few days before so they didn’t require any attention.

And the man cave? It also doesn’t get used much these days and is totally out of site since it’s above the garage and off of the mud room so I don’t worry so much about it. I’m sure it’s pretty dusty up there but it’s not something I can clean unless someone is here to watch the girls. I’m sure it wouldn’t take me long to clean…probably about 30 minutes but I just don’t wanna. ;)

So all in all, I’d say that this system works pretty well. The KEY is definitely to have the house picked up first.

rear view of woman with yellow gloves in kitchen doing housework

 

Signature Channel

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...