June 4, 2012

For MoMs by MoMs: Bringing Home Multiples

Welcome back! If you are coming from Jennifer’s, Megan’s or Amanda’s blog, you’ve come to the right place to link up as I’m hosting this week!
We hope you all had a wonderful Memorial weekend. Are you ready to jump back in to our weekly series? We certainly are! This week we are talking about Bringing home those little bundles of joy and how to survive those first few weeks.

The thought of bringing home your babies can be very daunting. Even if you already have children, you most likely had one at a time but bringing home 2 or more babies at the same time? Holy cow! After the girls were born, they both eventually ended up in the NICU so when we went home from the hospital, we went home empty handed. It was, by far, the. hardest. thing. I’ve ever had to do but I knew it was best for them because they needed to come home healthy.
060412-For-MoMs
We were able to bring Tensley home the very next day. Of course, we had family come by to see her because no one really got to see either one of them since they were in the NICU. Once everyone left, we did pretty well. I remember laying in bed that night telling James, “We can do this. Piece of cake”. However, he wasn’t so sure and insisted I call my Mom to come help once we brought Tillie home (which was 2 days later). I called my mom and boy am I glad I did!
Here are my tips for the first weeks of having your multiples home:
060412-1-For-MoMs
Schedules
If they are not already on a schedule, get them on one and make sure they are all on the same schedule. Before they were born, I had heard that having your twins/multiples on a schedule was very important. I knew I wanted to have some sort of schedule but I was just going to kind of follow their prompts.  I was so na├»ve. I was fortunate that TnT came home already on a schedule from being in the NICU. They ate every 3 hours so we did feedings and diaper changes at the same time. When the exhaustion set in, I got a little lax with their schedule. Bad idea. Trust me, if you are about to have twins/multiples, this is probably the most important thing you should take away from this post. When that exhaustion sets in and you crave sleep and just want to “adjust” their schedule, DON’T. Keep truckin’ through it. Your body will adjust, I promise. Otherwise, you will actually get LESS sleep.


Accept any and all help that is offered
I didn’t ever get a chance to take advantage of my nesting bug because let’s face it, carrying TWO babies is just as if not more exhausting than cleaning your house from top to bottom. I mean, toward the end,  just walking to the bathroom took my breath away…so much so that I had to take a break half way. And my bathroom is just a few steps away from my bed! Anyway, I digress. My mom & dad were a big help. They took care of the kitchen, washed bottles, did laundry and even vacuumed and mopped my floors! We were also fortunate to be members of a wonderful Sunday school class that brought meals to us the first week. My best friend also brought us a few meals. We were very thankful for all the help we got.

Delegate
Now that you’ve accepted all the help that is offered to you, be sure to delegate…even the smallest of tasks. Even when they offer to help, they aren’t sure how so if you can give them tasks that they are willing to do whether it be picking up a few things at the grocery store, watching the babies so you can take a shower or nap, or even just to bring you a venti triple shot mocha. ;) Delegating will keep you sane and help others feel like they are actually helping.

Take a nap
”Sleep when they sleep” is a joke…especially with twins/multiples. I mean, really. The minute they close their eyes, your first thought is probably going to be to clean something or pay the bills or take a shower.  The only time you can get anything done is when they are sleeping.  With that said, try to take a nap at least once a day…especially in the beginning…even if it’s just a 20 minute power nap. It will be good for your mind, body, and soul.

Enjoy
You will be so busy trying to keep up with feedings, dirty diapers, etc. that it will be easy to forget that you have been blessed with more than one baby. Try to stop in between the chaos and enjoy the quiet moments. Enjoy your babies. Be thankful for your new life. Just Enjoy. …and take lots of pictures because you will forget. You may think you’ll remember the first weeks but trust me, you’ll forget.

Ok, so let’s recap…schedule, delegate, nap, enjoy. Got it? Good. :)

Join us next week when we go into more detail on the topics of Feeding & Schedules.

Happy Monday! Hope your week is wonderful!


Grey&Pink Signature

5 comments:

  1. Love this! I agree completely! My boys just turned two and I still can't believe we survived the first two years...ha! I can attest to all of your tips! Schedules were our saving grace and I am not one to accept help normally but with two babies, I had no choice and was so thankful for any help! I always told friends that anyone who visits will be put to work :)! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great and yes, I agree, scheduling is key! Mine were on a great schedule from the NICU too :) I do have a few questions for you regarding getting them to sleep- they were doing great and since we've started rice cereal I have one who wakes up every 2-3 hours :( did yours do this? Mine share a room so it's been hard b/c I don't want them to wake each other up! My email is kbell8181@yahoo.com if you get some time to chat, thanks!

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't get to nest with my twins either. it's just physically impossible.

    also i love that you added enjoy :-) it's so easy to get wrapped up in the chaos and forget to photos

    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I SOO agree with you about the laughable, "Sleep when the baby sleeps!" Are you kidding me? How would I get anything done? But I always, always took at least one nap during the day (for the first 6 weeks...then I went back to work). Good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I was hoping to get to look at the link up and read all the other blogs. What happened?

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...