April 5, 2012

“Hi Sweet Baby, You Have RSV”

My mom and I are sitting in the exam room with TnT waiting for the doctor. We had to wait a little while as they were a little backed up. I couldn’t complain because we were almost 15 minutes late to our appointment. Finally the doctor comes in, looks at Tillie and says, “Hi sweet baby, you have RSV". Then, she looks at me and says, “Her RSV test was VERY positive and Tensley will definitely get it. It’s only a matter of time”. Then Tensley coughs. Ugh. That was the last thing I wanted to hear.

The last few times that the girls were sick…had snotty noses, congestion, or a little cough, I was so worried about them getting RSV. I would call the doctor, they’d want to see us, so we’d go in. Nope, just a little cold. This time? RSV never crossed my mind. I have no idea why, really. I mean, Tillie has sounded worse than she ever has but I just kept saying, “Oh, she just has a bad cold.” Mom fail.

The doctor said RSV usually peaks on day 5. Yesterday was day 5 for Tillie but will have to have breathing treatments for at least another week so I’m hoping that she starts getting better. Tensley just started the coughing yesterday so we have a couple of weeks with her. We went ahead and started breathing treatments on her to try to keep it from getting too bad. However, she coughed pretty much all night last night. :(

Thankfully, we can still have family for Easter…we are hosting this year. The doctor just said they shouldn’t be around infants and TnT are the only infants in our family. The rest of the kids are older.

Neither one of the girls act sick. This was them playing yesterday.

JWTYHK-TnT-040312-7  JWTYHK-TnT-040312-2
JWTYHK-TnT-040312-3  JWTYHK-TnT-040312-4
JWTYHK-TnT-040312-5  JWTYHK-TnT-040312-6

 

In case you are wondering, here are some facts about RSV…

  • RSV is short for respiratory syncytial virus, a major cause of respiratory illness in young children
  • It is the most common lower respiratory infection seen in infants. It is estimated that 90% of children are infected with this virus by age 2.
  • The virus is found in droplets or discharges from the nose and throat of an infected person and is spread by breathing in droplets after an infected person has coughed or hand-to-mouth contact after touching an infected person or a surface that an infected person has touched or coughed on
  • Symptoms can develop anywhere from 3-6 days after exposure.
  • Infection usually lasts 7-14 days but may last up to 3 weeks.
  • Contagious period is anywhere from 3-10 days.
  • Older children and adults can contract RSV but symptoms typically present as a common cold.

To Prevent RSV, WASH your hands, COVER your mouth when coughing or sneezing then WASH your hands, STAY AWAY from infants if possible when showing signs of a cold (i.e. sniffles, cough, sneezing).

Grey&Pink Signature

3 comments:

  1. Poor babies. My dr also shared with me (when my son had RSV) that a kid who has had RSV is more likely to develop asthma:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet lil ladies!!! praying the sickies go away soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor girls, I hope they get feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with my readers! Leave me a comment and let me know you've stopped by!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...